False Labor Anatomy
To better understand Braxton Hicks contractions, it helps to understand the anatomy of the uterus and female reproductive system.
Anatomy of the female reproductive tract includes:
- The uterus, cervix, and vaginal canal
- The fallopian tubes: these paired structures connect each ovary to the uterus.
- The ovaries: one on each side of the uterus. The normal ovary is approximately the size of an unshelled almond.
The fetus grows within the amniotic save within the uterus:
- Besinger RE. Preterm labor, premature rupture of membranes, and cervical incompetence. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 1993 Feb;5(1):33-9. 
- Gjerdingen DK. Premature labor, Part II: Management. J Am Board Fam Pract. 1992 Nov-Dec;5(6):601-15. 
- Mercer BM, Lewis R. Preterm labor and preterm premature rupture of the membranes. Diagnosis and management. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997 Mar;11(1):177-201. 
- Newton ER. Preterm labor, preterm premature rupture of membranes, and chorioamnionitis. Clin Perinatol. 2005 Sep;32(3):571-600.