Factor 5 Deficiency Home Care
Home care for factor 5 deficiency includes:
- Avoid aspirin.
- Avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications:
- Avoid herbal supplements.
- Avoid vitamin E supplements.
- Do not take additional medications without your doctor's consent.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Apply direct pressure to control bleeding:
- Use a gauze or clean cloth directly on the wound.
- Maintain constant pressure for at least 10 minutes.
- Do not interrupt the pressure, in order to look at the wound.
Home care for joint swelling and pain includes:
- Rest the joint:
- Apply an elastic wrap.
- Apply cold compresses:
- Wrap ice in a moist hand towel. Do not apply ice directly to the skin.
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours, for the first few days.
- Acetaminophen for pain
How to stop a nosebleed:
- Pinch the nose firmly for 15 minutes without letting go. Make sure you are pinching the nose below the nasal bone.
- Sit upright: do not lie down.
- Breathe through your mouth.
- Drink cold water to clear blood from your throat.
- Seek medical care if the bleeding does not stop.
- Do not remove blood clots from your nose once the bleeding has stopped.
- Do not blow your nose for at least 2 days.
- Do not take aspirin for one week after the nosebleed.
- Avoid hot liquids.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
Factor 5 Deficiency Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have factor 5 deficiency and any of the following:
Continue to Factor 5 Deficiency Underlying Cause
- Garcia-Noblejas A, Osorio S, Duran AI, Cordoba R, Nistal S, Aguado B, Loscertales J, Gomez N. Pulmonary embolism in a patient with severe congenital deficiency for factor V during treatment with fresh frozen plasma. Haemophilia. 2005 May;11(3):276-9. 
- Lak M, Sharifian R, Peyvandi F, Mannucci PM. Symptoms of inherited factor V deficiency in 35 Iranian patients. Br J Haematol. 1998 Dec;103(4):1067-9. 
- Muntean W. Fresh frozen plasma in the pediatric age group and in congenital coagulation factor deficiency. Thromb Res. 2002 Oct 31;107 Suppl 1:S29-32. 
- Sirachainan N, Zhang B, Chuansumrit A, Pipe S, Sasanakul W, Ginsburg D. Combined factor V and factor VIII deficiency in a Thai patient: a case report of genotype and phenotype characteristics. Haemophilia. 2005 May;11(3):280-4.