Eye Disease Hypertensive Lifestyle
Lifestyle changes in someone with hypertensive retinopathy include:
- Stop smoking
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke
- Avoid alcohol, or drink alcohol in moderation:
- For men: no more than 2 alcoholic beverages per day
- For women: no more than 1 alcoholic beverage per day
- Eat a healthy diet:
- Follow an exercise plan developed with your doctor.
- Weight loss if you are overweight.
Continue to Eye Disease Hypertensive Stress
- Dodson PM, Lip GY, Eames SM, Gibson JM, Beevers DG. Hypertensive retinopathy: a review of existing classification systems and a suggestion for a simplified grading system. J Hum Hypertens. 1996 Feb;10(2):93-8. 
- Wang JJ, Mitchell P, Leung H, Rochtchina E, Wong TY, Klein R. Hypertensive retinal vessel wall signs in a general older population: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Hypertension. 2003 Oct;42(4):534-41. 
- Yu T, Mitchell P, Berry G, Li W, Wang JJ. Retinopathy in older persons without diabetes and its relationship to hypertension. Arch Ophthalmol. 1998 Jan;116(1):83-9.