Esophageal Muscle Spasms Home Care
Home care for esophageal spasm includes:
- Ask your doctor to prescribe your medications in liquid form.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Avoid foods that are difficult to swallow.
- Chew food well.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat small meals more frequently.
- For difficulty swallowing:
- Eat a soft diet.
- Eat a liquid diet.
- Learn everything you can about your condition:
- The more you know about your condition, the easier it will be to participate with your doctor in making treatment decisions.
- Ask your doctor about good sources for information.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
Esophageal Muscle Spasms Liquid Diet
There are two main types of liquid diets: clear liquids and full liquids. Persons who have esophageal spasm may have difficulty swallowing and may require a liquid diet for a period of time. Nutritional supplements are usually necessary in this situation.
Clear Liquid Diet
Clear liquids are liquids you can see through. Clear liquids can also contain some nutrition, but are usually not adequate to support the body's energy needs for more than a few days. Clear liquids are easily absorbed by the intestines. Liquids remove the stress on the intestines.
Clear liquids include:
- Bouillon soup
- Fruit juices without pulp
- Popsicles (no pulp)
- Soft drinks
- Sports drinks (e.g. Gatorade)
Full Liquid Diet
This type of diet lies between a solid diet and clear liquids. It is often used by someone who is tolerating clear liquids, but cannot tolerate solid food. A full liquid diet can safely sustain the body for long periods of time.
Full liquids include:
- Cream of wheat
- Fruit juices
- Milk, milkshakes and ice cream
- Nutrition supplement drinks, such as Ensure or Boost
- Pureed meats
- Pureed vegetables
- Soups without solids
- Vegetable juices
- Yogurt and pudding
Esophageal Muscle Spasms Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have an esophageal spasm and any of the following:
Continue to Esophageal Muscle Spasms Outlook
- Handa M, Mine K, Yamamoto H, Hayashi H, Tsuchida O, Kanazawa F, Kubo C. Antidepressant treatment of patients with diffuse esophageal spasm: a psychosomatic approach. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1999 Apr;28(3):228-32. 
- Kato T, Naiki T, Araki H, Nagaki M, Moriwaki H. Diffuse esophageal spasm. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004 Sep;60(3):428. 
- Storr M. Balloon dilation in patients with diffuse esophageal spasm. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005 Mar;61(3):501.