Esophageal Cancer Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of esophageal cancer.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Esophageal Cancer Specialist
- Avidan B, Sonnenberg A, Schnell TG, Chejfec G, Metz A, Sontag SJ. Hiatal hernia size, Barrett's length, and severity of acid reflux are all risk factors for esophageal adenocarcinoma Am J Gastroenterol. 2002 Aug;97(8):1930-6. 
- Lightdale CJ, Kulkarni KG. Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in the staging and follow-up of esophageal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Jul 10;23(20):4483-9. 
- Shaheen N, Ransohoff DF. Gastroesophageal reflux, barrett esophagus, and esophageal cancer: scientific review. JAMA. 2002 Apr 17;287(15):1972-81. 
- Stathopoulos GP, Tsiaras N. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of esophageal cancer: management and its controversial results (review). Oncol Rep. 2003 Mar-Apr;10(2):449-54. 
- Wong R, Malthaner R. Esophageal cancer: a systematic review. Curr Probl Cancer. 2000 Nov-Dec;24(6):297-373.