Equine Encephalitis Prevention
Prevention of equine encephalitis includes:
Equine Encephalitis Bites
Prevention of mosquito bites includes:
- Apply insect repellent to exposed skin.
- Apply DEET repellants to clothing.
- Wear insect repellent clothing.
- Consider staying indoors at dawn, dusk, and in the early evening.
- Install or repair window and door screens so that mosquitoes cannot get indoors.
- Place mosquito netting over infant carriers when you are outdoors with infants.
- Repellents may irritate the eyes and mouth, so avoid applying repellent to the hands of children.
- Remove standing water: empty water from flowerpots, pet bowls, clogged rain gutters, swimming pool covers, etc.
- When possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
Continue to Equine Encephalitis Complications
- Aguilar PV, Greene IP, Coffey LL, et al. Endemic Venezuelan equine encephalitis in northern Peru. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 May;10(5):880-8. 
- Deresiewicz RL, Thaler SJ, Hsu L, Zamani AA. Clinical and neuroradiographic manifestations of eastern equine encephalitis. N Engl J Med. 1997 Jun 26;336(26):1867-74. 
- Estrada-Franco JG, Navarro-Lopez R, Freier JE, et al. Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus, southern Mexico. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Dec;10(12):2113-21.