Epidermolysis Bullosa Home Care
Home care measures for epidermolysis bullosa include:
- Avoid activities that cause blisters.
- Puncture blisters as soon as they form, with a sterile needle or blade.
- Care for a ruptured blister:
- Clean the skin gently with soap and water.
- Apply antibiotic ointment.
- Apply a protective bandage over the blister.
- Protect the skin from blisters:
- Apply petroleum jelly to the skin.
- Use foot pads to protect the skin.
- Care for your feet:
- Avoid footwear that places pressure on the foot.
- Avoid shoes that are too small.
- Avoid high-heeled shoes.
- Break-in new shoes slowly.
- Change shoes and socks when they become wet.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Epidermolysis Bullosa Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have epidermolysis bullosa and any of the following:
- Worsening skin redness and pain:
- Cellulitis of the face
- Cellulitis of the ear
- Cellulitis of the arm
- Cellulitis of the hand
- Cellulitis of the leg
- Cellulitis of the foot
- Yellow or brown scabs form around a blister
- Red streaks that spread from a blister:
- Lymphangitis of the arm
- Lymphangitis of the back of the leg
- Lymphangitis of the hand from a finger wound
- Persistent fever
Continue to Epidermolysis Bullosa Complications
- Lim KK, Su WP, McEvoy MT, Pittelkow MR. Generalized gravis junctional epidermolysis bullosa: case report, laboratory evaluation, and review of recent advances. Mayo Clin Proc. 1996 Sep;71(9):863-8. [8790263 ]
- Ozanic Bulic S, Fassihi H, Mellerio JE, McGrath JA, Atherton DJ. Thalidomide in the management of epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa. Br J Dermatol. 2005 Jun;152(6):1332-4. 
- Vodegel RM, de Jong MC, Pas HH, Jonkman MF. IgA-mediated epidermolysis bullosa acquisita: two cases and review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002 Dec;47(6):919-25.