Enlarged Tonsils Home Care
Home care for enlarged tonsils includes:
- Avoid alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Soothe the throat with apple juice, warm soup or hard candy.
- Take nonprescription medication for sore throat:
- Gargle with warm salt water
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Enlarged Tonsils Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have enlarged tonsils and any of the following:
Continue to Enlarged Tonsils Complications
- Chien CY, Chen AM, Hwang CF, Su CY. The clinical significance of adenoid-choanae area ratio in children with adenoid hypertrophy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2005 Feb;69(2):235-9. 
- Huang SW, Giannoni C. The risk of adenoid hypertrophy in children with allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2001 Oct;87(4):350-5. 
- Tuncer U, Aydogan B, Soylu L, Simsek M, Akcali C, Kucukcan A. Chronic rhinosinusitis and adenoid hypertrophy in children. Am J Otolaryngol. 2004 Jan-Feb;25(1):5-10.