Treatment for encopresis includes:
- Perform toilet training.
- Encourage increased intake of fluids.
- Provide prescription medications as directed:
- Provide laxatives or enemas only as recommended by your doctor.
Continue to Encopresis Home Care
- Brooks RC, Copen RM, Cox DJ, Morris J, Borowitz S, Sutphen J. Review of the treatment literature for encopresis, functional constipation, and stool-toileting refusal. Ann Behav Med. 2000 Summer;22(3):260-7. 
- Schonwald A, Rappaport L. Consultation with the specialist: encopresis: assessment and management. Pediatr Rev. 2004 Aug;25(8):278-83. 
- van der Wal MF, Benninga MA, Hirasing RA. The prevalence of encopresis in a multicultural population. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005 Mar;40(3):345-8.