Encephalitis Herpes Virus Treatment
Treatment for herpes encephalitis often includes intravenous fluids, antiviral medications, medications to control nausea, and acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever control.
Treatment for herpes encephalitis may include:
- Intravenous fluids
- Monitoring for seizures
- Monitoring for increased intracranial pressure (swelling inside the brain)
- Antiviral medications for viral encephalitis
- Medications for nausea
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication:
For more information:
Encephalitis Herpes Virus Specialists
Continue to Encephalitis Herpes Virus Home Care
- Kimberlin DW. Management of HSV encephalitis in adults and neonates: diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. Herpes. 2007 Jun;14(1):11-6. 
- Whitley RJ. Herpes simplex encephalitis: adolescents and adults. Antiviral Res. 2006 Sep;71(2-3):141-8. Epub 2006 Apr 25.