Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms trigger factors Evaluation Treatment drugs bronchodilators questions for doctor specialist Home Care inhaler use taking control warning signs wheezing Prevention stop smoking Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Facts about emphysema:
- 30 million people in the US have COPD.
- 8 million people in the US have chronic bronchitis.
- 2 million people in the US have emphysema.
- Most cases of emphysema occur in people over 40 years of age.
- Men are affected more frequently than women.
- COPD is the fifth leading cause of death in the US: about 60,000 deaths per year.
Continue to Emphysema Risk Factors
PubMed Emphysema References
- Doherty DE, Briggs DD Jr. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: epidemiology, pathogenesis, disease course, and prognosis. Clin Cornerstone. 2004;Suppl 2:S5-16. 
- Ebell MH. Systemic corticosteroids for acute exacerbations of COPD. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Aug 1;72(3):437-8. 
- Kerstjens H, Postma D, Ten Hacken N. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Evid. 2004 Jun;(11):2003-30. 
- Weder MM, Donohue JF. Role of bronchodilators in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Apr;26(2):221-34.