Eardrum Infection Prevention
Prevention of otitis media includes:
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Breastfeed your baby for the first 4 months:
- Breastfeeding protects the infant from infection.
- Do not allow a toddler to drink from a bottle in bed:
- Drinking in this position increases the risk of ear infection.
- Keep vaccines up to date
- Tympanostomy tubes for otitis media:
- For those who have multiple episodes of otitis media
Continue to Eardrum Infection Complications
- Aronovitz GH. Antimicrobial therapy of acute otitis media: review of treatment recommendations. Clin Ther. 2000 Jan;22(1):29-39. 
- Asher E, Leibovitz E, Press J, Greenberg D, Bilenko N, Reuveni H. Accuracy of acute otitis media diagnosis in community and hospital settings. Acta Paediatr. 2005 Apr;94(4):423-8. 
- Butler CC, van der Linden MK, MacMillan HL, van der Wouden JC. Should children be screened to undergo early treatment for otitis media with effusion? A systematic review of randomized trials. Child Care Health Dev. 2003 Nov;29(6):425-32. 
- Pappas DE, Owen Hendley J. Otitis media. A scholarly review of the evidence. Minerva Pediatr. 2003 Oct;55(5):407-14.