Dumping Syndrome Treatment
Treatment for dumping syndrome includes small, but frequent meals, plenty of fluids between meals, medications to control symptoms, and surgery.
Treatment for dumping syndrome includes:
- Small, frequent meals
- Drink plenty of fluids between meals.
- Reduce the intake of liquids during meals.
- Chew your food well
- Lie down after eating
- Diet changes:
- Eat low carbohydrate foods
- Reduce sugar intake
- Increase fiber intake
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid acidic foods
- Avoid fried foods
- Take vitamins and minerals:
- Medications for dumping syndrome:
- Surgery for dumping syndrome:
- Reconstruction of the pylorus
Dumping Syndrome Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of dumping syndrome.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- How should I change my diet?
- Do I need to gain weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Dumping Syndrome Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat dumping syndrome:
Continue to Dumping Syndrome Home Care
- Bufler P, Ehringhaus C, Koletzko S. Dumping syndrome: a common problem following Nissen fundoplication in young children. Pediatr Surg Int. 2001 Jul;17(5-6):351-5. 
- Yamada M, Ohrui T, Asada M, Ishizawa K, Ebihara S, Arai H, Sasaki H. Acarbose attenuates hypoglycemia from dumping syndrome in an elderly man with gastrectomy. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Feb;53(2):358-9.