Dry Eyes Home Care
Home care for dry eyes includes:
- Use a humidifier.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Use artificial tears.
- Available without a prescription
- Lubricating ointments:
- Last longer but can cloud vision
- A good choice for use at bedtime
- Keep eyelids clean:
- Blepharitis can worsen dry eyes
- Apply warm washcloth to closed eyes for 5 minutes
- Cleanse lashes with baby shampoo and and rinse completely
Dry Eyes Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have dry eyes and any of the following:
Continue to Dry Eyes Outlook
- Montes-Mico R, Alio JL, Charman WN. Dynamic changes in the tear film in dry eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005 May;46(5):1615-9. 
- Smith RE. The tear film complex: pathogenesis and emerging therapies for dry eyes. Cornea. 2005 Jan;24(1):1-7. 
- Whitcher JP. The treatment of dry eyes. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004 May;88(5):603-4. 
- Wright M, Dhillon B. Diagnosis and treatment of dry eyes. Practitioner. 1997 Apr;241(1573):210-2, 214, 216.