Drowning and Near Drowning Outlook
What to expect with drowning and near drowning:
- Almost all victims who require resuscitation will die or suffer severe brain damage.
- Drowning due to a neck fracture usually has a very poor outcome.
- Drowning due to alcohol ingestion usually has a very poor outcome.
Continue to Drowning and Near Drowning Complications
- Papa L, Hoelle R, Idris A. Systematic review of definitions for drowning incidents. Resuscitation. 2005 Jun;65(3):255-64. 
- Peden MM, McGee K. The epidemiology of drowning worldwide. Inj Control Saf Promot. 2003 Dec;10(4):195-9. 
- Salomez F, Vincent JL. Drowning: a review of epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment and prevention. Resuscitation. 2004 Dec;63(3):261-8.