Domestic Violence Incidence
Facts about domestic abuse:
- In the US, a woman is physically beaten every 15 seconds.
- About one in five women seen in emergency rooms are victims of domestic violence.
- Almost half of all injured women seen in emergency rooms have been battered by someone in their household.
- Most women will not admit to being a victim of abuse.
- About 37 out of 100 pregnant women are victims of domestic violence.
- Married women account for about 60% of victims of abuse.
- About 80% of abusers are adult males.
- Adults who batter their partners often abuse their children and elderly relatives.
- Up to one third of high school students admit to have been in a physically abusive relationship.
Continue to Domestic Violence Symptoms
- Director TD, Linden JA. Domestic violence: an approach to identification and intervention. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):1117-32. 
- Tolan P, Gorman-Smith D, Henry D. Family Violence. Annu Rev Psychol. 2005 Aug 31. 
- Worden AP, Carlson BE. Attitudes and Beliefs About Domestic Violence: Results of a Public Opinion Survey: II. Beliefs About Causes. J Interpers Violence. 2005 Oct;20(10):1219-43. 
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ. A prospective observational study of domestic violence during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Jul;106(1):61-5.