Diarrhea due to Giardia Diarrhea in Adults
Home treatment of diarrhea in adults with a Giardia infection includes hydration and dietary therapy.
Those who are able to drink liquids can restore lost water and salt with oral rehydration therapy (ORT).
ORT fluids are usually used in children, but are also effective for adults. These include:
- Generic drugstore brands
Additional ORT fluids include:
- Soft drinks without caffeine
- Sports drinks (Gatorade)
ORT is most important if you have vomiting with the diarrhea. Once vomiting and nausea resolves, eat bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Foods that may help diarrhea:
- Mashed potatoes
- Strained carrots
Items that may worsen diarrhea include:
- Concentrated fruit juices
- High-sugar foods (junk food)
- Cow's milk
- Spicy foods
- Sugar substitutes
Continue to Diarrhea due to Giardia Diarrhea in Children
- Vesy CJ, Peterson WL. Review article: the management of Giardiasis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1999 Jul;13(7):843-50. 
- Welch TP. Risk of giardiasis from consumption of wilderness water in North America: a systematic review of epidemiologic data. Int J Infect Dis. 2000;4(2):100-3.