Diarrhea due to Cytomegalovirus Treatment
Treatment for cytomegalovirus intestinal infection may include intravenous fluids, medications for nausea and vomiting, and antiviral medications.
Treatment for cytomegalovirus intestinal infection may include:
- Oral rehydration therapy for older children and adults:
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks (best), fruit juice and dilute tea.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently, such as 2 tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes.
- The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- May be able to advance to full liquid diet once symptoms improve
- Effective to treat mild to moderate dehydration
- Medications for nausea and vomiting:
- Medications for severe diarrhea:
- Intravenous fluids
- For moderate to severe dehydration
- Antiviral medications:
Diarrhea due to Cytomegalovirus Specialist
Continue to Diarrhea due to Cytomegalovirus Home Care
- Chetty R, Roskell DE. Cytomegalovirus infection in the gastrointestinal tract. J Clin Pathol. 1994 Nov;47(11):968-72. 
- Goodgame RW. Gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus disease. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Nov 1;119(9):924-35. 
- Griffiths PD, Walter S. Cytomegalovirus. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2005 Jun;18(3):241-5.