Diabetic Nephropathy Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of diabetic nephropathy.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- How do I change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Diabetic Nephropathy Specialist
- Olson DE, Norris SL. Diabetes in older adults. Overview of AGS guidelines for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in geriatric populations. Geriatrics. 2004 Apr;59(4):18-24. 
- Shlipak M. Diabetic nephropathy. Clin Evid. 2004 Dec;(12):814-33. 
- Thorp ML. Diabetic nephropathy: common questions. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):96-9. 
- Wittmann I, Molnar GA, Degrell P, et al. Prevention and treatment of diabetic nephropathy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005 Jun;68 Suppl1:S36-42.