Type 1 Diabetes Drugs
Insulin is the primary drug therapy for type 1 diabetes. Insulin is the human hormone that keeps blood glucose under control. Insulin is given by injection or through an automatic insulin pump. Both methods can work well when managed properly.
Insulin pumps are small devices that that deliver insulin through a tiny needle that remains in the skin. This provides a constant dose of regular insulin at all times. The pump can be adjusted to release extra insulin before a meal. Wearing a pump does not avoid regular blood sugar testing.
Insulin injection therapy uses combinations of short, intermediate, and long-acting insulin at different times of the day. These injections can be given 2 to 4 times per day. Doses will vary depending on a person's size, blood sugar level, meals and activity.
Type 2 Diabetes Drugs
Most type 2 diabetics require one or more oral medications to control their blood sugar levels. Some people with type 2 diabetes also require treatment with insulin.
Oral medications for type 2 diabetes:
- Acetohexamide (Dymelor)
- Chlorpropamide (Diabinese)
- Glimepiride (Amaryl)
- Glipizide (Glucotrol)
- Glyburide (DiaBeta, Micronase)
- Tolazamide (Tolinase)
- Tolbutamide (Orinase)
- Alpha-glucosidase Inhibitors:
- Amylin mimetics:
- Incretin mimetics:
For more information:
Continue to Diabetes Questions For Doctor
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Monnier L, Benichou M, Charra-Ebrard S, Boegner C, Colette C. An overview of the rationale for pharmacological strategies in type 2 diabetes: from the evidence to new perspectives. Diabetes Metab. 2005 Apr;31(2):101-9. 
- Olson DE, Norris SL. Diabetes in older adults. Overview of AGS guidelines for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in geriatric populations. Geriatrics. 2004 Apr;59(4):18-24. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7. 
- Ulbrecht JS, Cavanagh PR, Caputo GM. Foot problems in diabetes: an overview. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Aug 1;39 Suppl 2:S73-82.