Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment drugs questions for doctor specialist Home Care diet hyperglycemia hypoglycemia taking control vomiting warning signs Prevention Underlying Cause Types Anatomy
Facts about diabetes:
- About 23 million people in the US have diabetes.
- About 7.8% of the US population has diabetes.
- About 23% of people age 60 years and older have diabetes.
- 5.7 million people have undiagnosed diabetes.
- About 1.6 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed in people age 20 and older each year.
- Adults with diabetes have heart disease death rates about 2-4 times higher than adults without diabetes.
- The risk for stroke is 2-4 times higher among people with diabetes.
- Diabetes is the 7th most common cause of death in the US.
- About 46,000 people die from diabetes each year.
- The annual cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $174 billion:
- $116 billion goes to direct medical costs
- $58 billion in indirect costs such as disability, work loss and premature mortality
Continue to Diabetes Symptoms
PubMed Diabetes References
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Monnier L, Benichou M, Charra-Ebrard S, Boegner C, Colette C. An overview of the rationale for pharmacological strategies in type 2 diabetes: from the evidence to new perspectives. Diabetes Metab. 2005 Apr;31(2):101-9. 
- Olson DE, Norris SL. Diabetes in older adults. Overview of AGS guidelines for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in geriatric populations. Geriatrics. 2004 Apr;59(4):18-24. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7. 
- Ulbrecht JS, Cavanagh PR, Caputo GM. Foot problems in diabetes: an overview. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Aug 1;39 Suppl 2:S73-82.