Diabetes Insulin Dependent Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- How will I take insulin?
- Do I need to take additional medication?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- When should I take insulin?
- How do I change my diet?
- What is a type 1 diabetes diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- How often do I need to measure my blood sugar?
- When should I measure my blood sugar?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- How often will I need tests to evaluate my diabetes?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Diabetes Insulin Dependent Regular Monitoring
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Larsson K, Elding-Larsson H, Cederwall E, Kockum K, Neiderud J, Sjoblad S, Lindberg B, Lernmark B, Cilio C, Ivarsson SA, Lernmark A. Genetic and perinatal factors as risk for childhood type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Nov-Dec;20(6):429-37. 
- Mannucci E, Rotella F, Ricca V, Moretti S, Placidi GF, Rotella CM. Eating disorders in patients with type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Endocrinol Invest. 2005 May;28(5):417-9. 
- Schlosser M, Strebelow M, Rjasanowski I, Kerner W, Wassmuth R, Ziegler M. Prevalence of diabetes-associated autoantibodies in schoolchildren: the Karlsburg Type 1 Diabetes Risk Study. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec;1037:114-7. 
- Steck AK, Bugawan TL, Valdes AM, Emery LM, Blair A, Norris JM, Redondo MJ, Babu SR, Erlich HA, Eisenbarth GS, Rewers MJ. Association of non-HLA genes with type 1 diabetes autoimmunity. Diabetes. 2005 Aug;54(8):2482-6.