Diabetes Insulin Dependent Incidence
Facts about type 1 diabetes:
- About 15 out of every 100,000 people develop type 1 diabetes every year in the US.
- The onset of type 1 diabetes usually occurs between 8 and 12 years of age.
- Adults with diabetes have heart disease death rates about 2-4 times higher than adults without diabetes.
- The risk for stroke is 2-4 times higher among people with diabetes.
- About 46,000 people die from diabetes each year.
- Diabetes is the 7th most common cause of death in the US.
- The annual cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $174 billion:
- $116 billion goes to direct medical costs
- $58 billion in indirect costs such as disability, work loss and premature mortality
Continue to Diabetes Insulin Dependent Risk Factors
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Larsson K, Elding-Larsson H, Cederwall E, Kockum K, Neiderud J, Sjoblad S, Lindberg B, Lernmark B, Cilio C, Ivarsson SA, Lernmark A. Genetic and perinatal factors as risk for childhood type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Nov-Dec;20(6):429-37. 
- Mannucci E, Rotella F, Ricca V, Moretti S, Placidi GF, Rotella CM. Eating disorders in patients with type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Endocrinol Invest. 2005 May;28(5):417-9. 
- Schlosser M, Strebelow M, Rjasanowski I, Kerner W, Wassmuth R, Ziegler M. Prevalence of diabetes-associated autoantibodies in schoolchildren: the Karlsburg Type 1 Diabetes Risk Study. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec;1037:114-7. 
- Steck AK, Bugawan TL, Valdes AM, Emery LM, Blair A, Norris JM, Redondo MJ, Babu SR, Erlich HA, Eisenbarth GS, Rewers MJ. Association of non-HLA genes with type 1 diabetes autoimmunity. Diabetes. 2005 Aug;54(8):2482-6.