Diabetes due to Obesity Overview
Another name for Diabetes due to Obesity is Type 2 Diabetes.
What is type 2 diabetes?
In a person with type 2 diabetes, cells in the body do not respond to insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone that reduces blood sugar (glucose) levels by stimulating the body to utilize glucose for energy. The poor response to insulin in someone with type 2 diabetes results in blood glucose levels that are higher than normal. The cause of Type 2 diabetes is unknown, but heredity and obesity may play a role. Type 2 diabetes usually begins in adulthood, whereas type 1 diabetes usually starts during childhood. About 300 out of every 100,000 people develop type 2 diabetes every year in the US.
What are the symptoms of type 2 diabetes?
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes include blurred vision, dizziness, excessive fatigue, excessive thirst, faintness, frequent urination, headaches, increased appetite, nausea, excessive sleepiness, and weight loss.
How does the doctor treat type 2 diabetes?
Treatment for type 2 diabetes may include a diabetic diet, weight loss, regular exercise, monitoring the blood sugar, insulin, and oral medications for diabetes.
Continue to Diabetes due to Obesity Incidence
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Nagaya T, Yoshida H, Takahashi H, Kawai M. Increases in body mass index, even within non-obese levels, raise the risk for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a follow-up study in a Japanese population. Diabet Med. 2005 Aug;22(8):1107-11. 
- Patja K, Jousilahti P, Hu G, Valle T, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Effects of smoking, obesity and physical activity on the risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Finnish men and women. J Intern Med. 2005 Oct;258(4):356-62. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7.