Diabetes due to Obesity Incidence
Facts about type 2 diabetes:
- About 300 out of every 100,000 people develop type 2 diabetes every year in the US.
- About 5,000 out of every 100,000 people have diabetes type 2 in the US.
- The onset of type 2 diabetes is usually after 40 years of age.
- 5.7 million people have undiagnosed diabetes.
- Adults with diabetes have heart disease death rates about 2-4 times higher than adults without diabetes.
- The risk for stroke is 2-4 times higher among people with diabetes.
- Diabetes is the 7th most common cause of death in the US.
- About 46,000 people die from diabetes each year.
- The annual cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $174 billion:
- $116 billion goes to direct medical costs
- $58 billion in indirect costs such as disability, work loss and premature mortality
Continue to Diabetes due to Obesity Risk Factors
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Nagaya T, Yoshida H, Takahashi H, Kawai M. Increases in body mass index, even within non-obese levels, raise the risk for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a follow-up study in a Japanese population. Diabet Med. 2005 Aug;22(8):1107-11. 
- Patja K, Jousilahti P, Hu G, Valle T, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Effects of smoking, obesity and physical activity on the risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Finnish men and women. J Intern Med. 2005 Oct;258(4):356-62. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7.