Dermatitis Psoriasis Treatment
There is no cure for psoriasis. Treatment for psoriasis usually includes phototherapy, topical medications, oral corticosteroid medications, and other medications (systemic agents and biologic therapies).
Treatment options for psoriasis include:
- Phototherapy for psoriasis:
- Series of brief exposures to ultraviolet light
- Often used in combination with psoralens
- Psoralen medications for psoriasis:
- Enhance the effectiveness of phototherapy
- Methoxsalen (Oxsoralen-Ultra, 8-MOP)
- Trioxsalen (Trisoralen)
- Topical medications for psoriasis:
- Topical corticosteroids
- Calcipotriene (Dovonex)
- Calcipotriene and betamethasone topical ointment (Taclonex)
- Tazarotene (Tazorac)
- Acitretin (Soriatane)
- Anthralin (Dithranol, Anthra-Derm, Drithocreme)
- Coal tar (DHS Tar Shampoo, Doak Tar Shampoo, Theraplex T Shampoo)
- Tazarotene (Tazorac)
- Calcitriol ointment (Vectical):
- For treatment of mild to moderate psoriasis in adults over 17 years old
- Oral corticosteroids medications
- Immunomodulators for psoriasis:
- Methotrexate (Folex, Rheumatrex, Amethopterin, MTX)
- Cyclosporine (Cyclosporin A, Neoral)
- Efalizumab (Raptiva)
- Alefacept (Amevive)
- Etanercept (Enbrel)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Adalimumab (Humira)
- Ustekinumab (Stelara)
- Skin moisturizers for psoriasis
- Oatmeal baths
- Avoid alcohol
Dermatitis Psoriasis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of psoriasis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for psoriasis complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Dermatitis Psoriasis Specialist
Continue to Dermatitis Psoriasis Home Care
- Aaronson DS, Lebwohl M. Review of therapy of psoriasis: the prebiologic armamentarium. Dermatol Clin. 2004 Oct;22(4):379-88, viii. 
- Afifi T, de Gannes G, Huang C, Zhou Y. Topical therapies for psoriasis: evidence-based review. Can Fam Physician. 2005 Apr;51:519-25. 
- Bruner CR, Feldman SR, Ventrapragada M, Fleischer AB Jr. A systematic review of adverse effects associated with topical treatments for psoriasis. Dermatol Online J. 2003 Feb;9(1):2. 
- Mason J, Mason AR, Cork MJ. Topical preparations for the treatment of psoriasis: a systematic review. Br J Dermatol. 2002 Mar;146(3):351-64.