Cystic Acne Surgery
Surgical techniques used to treat acne scars include:
- Surgical excision of scars:
- Removal of the scarred skin with a scalpel
- Cryotherapy for scars:
- The scar is frozen with liquid nitrogen
- The healing process reduces the scar
- Collagen injections for scars:
- Collagen is injected beneath the skin, in order to reduce the size of a pitting scar.
- Fat injections for scars:
- Fat, from another region of the body, is injected beneath the skin, in order to reduce the size of a pitting scar.
Continue to Cystic Acne Home Care
- James WD. Clinical practice. Acne. N Engl J Med. 2005 Apr 7;352(14):1463-72. 
- Magin P, Pond D, Smith W, Watson A. A systematic review of the evidence for 'myths and misconceptions' in acne management: diet, face-washing and sunlight. Fam Pract. 2005 Feb;22(1):62-70. 
- Marks R. Acne and its management beyond the age of 35 years. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5(6):459-62.