Cushing's Syndrome Diet
It is important to follow a healthy diet if you have Cushing's syndrome.
Strategies for a healthy diet include:
- Limit your intake of fat to 30% of your total calories.
- 10% to 15% of your total calories should be in the form of monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and peanut oil.
- Consume only unsaturated fats that are low in cholesterol.
- Consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day.
- Eat dietary fiber: whole grains are best.
- Avoid fad diets.
- Check with your doctor about B vitamin supplements. Some people may benefit from B vitamins:
Key Dietary Recommendations for Chronic Disease Prevention
|Energy (calories)||to maintain BMI < 25|
|Total fats||< or = to 30% of total daily calories|
|Saturated fats||< 7% of total daily calories|
|Polyunsaturated fats||< 10% of total daily calories|
|Monounsaturated fats||< 13% of total daily calories|
|Cholesterol||< or = to 300 mg per day|
|Dietary fiber||25-30 grams per day|
|Fiber type||3:1 insoluble to soluble fiber|
|Sodium||< or = to 1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 9-24 yrs||1,200-1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 25-50 yrs||1,000 mg per day|
|Calcium 51-65 yrs||1,200 mg per day|
|Calcium >65 yrs||1,500 mg per day|
|Vitamin D 9-50 yrs||200 IU per day|
|Vitamin D 51-70 yrs||400 IU per day|
|Vitamin D >70 yrs||600 IU per day|
|Folic acid||400 micrograms (ug) per day|
|Fruits & vegetables||5-7 servings per day|
|Alcohol (men)||< or = to 2 drinks per day|
|Alcohol (women)||< or = to 1 drink per day|
Continue to Cushing's Syndrome Warning Signs
- Findling JW, Raff H. Screening and diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;34(2):385-402, ix-x. 
- Lindsay JR, Nieman LK. Differential diagnosis and imaging in Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;34(2):403-21, x. 
- Morioka M, Fujii T, Matsuki T, Jo Y, Kobayashi T, Tanaka H, Ohashi T, Kondo K. Preclinical Cushing's syndrome: report of seven cases and a review of the literature. Int J Urol. 2000 Apr;7(4):126-32.