Crohn's Disease Diarrhea in Adults
Home treatment of diarrhea in adults with Crohn's disease includes hydration and dietary therapy.
Those who are able to drink liquids can restore lost water and salt with oral rehydration therapy (ORT).
ORT fluids are usually used in children, but are also effective for adults. These include:
- Generic drugstore brands
Additional ORT fluids include:
- Soft drinks without caffeine
- Sports drinks (Gatorade)
ORT is most important if you have vomiting with the diarrhea. Once vomiting and nausea resolves, eat bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Foods that may help diarrhea:
- Mashed potatoes
- Strained carrots
Items that may worsen diarrhea include:
- Concentrated fruit juices
- High-sugar foods (junk food)
- Cow's milk
- Spicy foods
- Sugar substitutes
Continue to Crohn's Disease Diarrhea in Children
- Hela S, Nihel M, Faten L, Monia F, Jalel B, Azza F, Slaheddine S. Osteoporosis and Crohn's disease. Joint Bone Spine. 2004 Nov 10. 
- Marrero F, Qadeer MA, Lashner BA. Severe complications of inflammatory bowel disease. Med Clin North Am. 2008 May;92(3):671-86. 
- McKaig BC, Stack WA. Novel approaches to inflammatory bowel disease. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 1998 Jul;7(7):1099-113. 
- Petros JG. Crohn's disease update. Curr Surg. 2000 March - April;57(2):95-103.