Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Transmission
Facts about Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease:
- The disease occurs worldwide, but little is known about how is spreads.
- Transmission of this disease has been linked to cornea transplants and brain procedures where improperly sterilized instruments were used.
- It does not appear to be contagious from person to person.
Continue to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Anatomy
- Beghi E, Gandolfo C, Ferrarese C, Rizzuto N, Poli G, Tonini MC, Vita G, Leone M, Logroscino G, Granieri E, Salemi G, Savettieri G, Frattola L, Ru G, Mancardi GL, Messina C. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: facts and uncertainties underlying the causal link between animal and human diseases. Neurol Sci. 2004 Jul;25(3):122-9. 
- Glatzel M, Stoeck K, Seeger H, Luhrs T, Aguzzi A. Human prion diseases: molecular and clinical aspects. Arch Neurol. 2005 Apr;62(4):545-52. 
- Mallucci G, Collinge J. Update on Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Curr Opin Neurol. 2004 Dec;17(6):641-7.