Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Variant Transmission
Facts about variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease:
- The disease first became prominent in the United Kingdom.
- Infection occurs from eating nervous system tissue of infected cows.
- The illness cannot be spread from person to person.
Continue to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Variant Anatomy
- Beisel CE, Morens DM: Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and the acquired and transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. Clin Infect Dis 2004 Mar 1; 38(5): 697-704. 
- Brown P: The risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy ('mad cow disease') to human health. JAMA 1997 Sep 24; 278(12): 1008-11. 
- Collinge J: Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Lancet 1999 Jul 24; 354(9175): 317-23. 
- Roma AA, Prayson RA. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: how safe is eating beef? Cleve Clin J Med. 2005 Mar;72(3):185-6, 189-90, 192-4. 
- Weihl CC, Roos RP. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, new variant creutzfeldt-jakob disease, and bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Neurol Clin. 1999 Nov;17(4):835-59.