Coughing Blood Home Care
Home care for hemoptysis includes:
- Avoid aspirin.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Coughing Blood Cough
Home treatment of a cough in someone with hemoptysis includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Coughing Blood Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have hemoptysis and any of the following:
Continue to Coughing Blood Underlying Cause
- Corder R. Hemoptysis. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2003 May;21(2):421-35. 
- Fidan A, Ozdogan S, Oruc O, Salepci B, Ocal Z, Caglayan B. Hemoptysis: a retrospective analysis of 108 cases. Respir Med. 2002 Sep;96(9):677-80. 
- Godfrey S. Pulmonary hemorrhage/hemoptysis in children. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2004 Jun;37(6):476-84. 
- Johnson JL. Manifestations of hemoptysis. How to manage minor, moderate, and massive bleeding. Postgrad Med. 2002 Oct;112(4):101-6, 108-9, 113. 
- Yu-Tang Goh P, Lin M, Teo N, En Shen Wong D. Embolization for hemoptysis: a six -year review. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2002 Jan-Feb;25(1):17-25.