Coronary Syndrome Thrombolytics
Coronary arteries become narrowed when cholesterol builds up on the inside wall of the artery. If a clot forms where the artery is narrowed, then the artery becomes completely blocked, causing angina or a heart attack. Thrombolytic medications are powerful blood thinners that can break down new blood clots in the coronary arteries.
Thrombolytic medications include:
- Alteplase, (t-PA, Activase)
- Reteplase (Retavase)
- Anistreplase (Eminase)
- Streptokinase (Kabikinase, Streptase)
- Tissue plasminogen activator
- Tenecteplase (TNKase)
Severe bleeding is the major complication of the thrombolytic medications. Overall, they reduce the risk of death from a heart attack.
Conditions in which thrombolytics are not used include:
Continue to Coronary Syndrome Home Care
- Achar SA, Kundu S, Norcross WA. Diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):119-26. 
- Brown TL, Merrill J, Hill P, Bengel FM. Relationship of coronary calcium and myocardial perfusion in individuals with chest pain. Assessed by integrated rubidium-82 PET-CT. Nuklearmedizin. 2008;47(6):255-260. 
- Mattu A, Petrini J, Swencki S, Chaudhari C, Brady WJ. Premature atherosclerosis and acute coronary syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Emerg Med. 2005 Sep;23(5):696-703. 
- Moriel M, Behar S, Tzivoni D, Hod H, Boyko V, Gottlieb S. Management and outcomes of elderly women and men with acute coronary syndromes in 2000 and 2002. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jul 11;165(13):1521-6. 
- Ofili E. Acute coronary syndrome in women. J Fam Pract. 2005 Jul;Suppl:6-7. 
- Perers E, Caidahl K, Herlitz J, Karlson BW, Karlsson T, Hartford M. Treatment and short-term outcome in women and men with acute coronary syndromes. Int J Cardiol. 2005 Aug 18;103(2):120-7. 
- Thuresson M, Jarlov MB, Lindahl B, Svensson L, Zedigh C, Herlitz J. Symptoms and type of symptom onset in acute coronary syndrome in relation to ST elevation, sex, age, and a history of diabetes. Am Heart J. 2005 Aug;150(2):234-42. 
- Wallentin L. Prevention of cardiovascular events after acute coronary syndrome. Semin Vasc Med. 2005 Aug;5(3):293-300. 
- Yilmaz H, Basarici I. Troponin levels and acute coronary syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 16;46(4):741.