Community Acquired Pneumonia Cough in Adults
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Continue to Community Acquired Pneumonia Cough in Children
- Fine MJ, Smith MA, Carson CA: Prognosis and outcomes of patients with community-acquired pneumonia. A meta-analysis. JAMA 1996 Jan 10; 275(2): 134-41. 
- Musher DM, Alexandraki I, Graviss EA: Bacteremic and nonbacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia. A prospective study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2000 Jul; 79(4): 210-21. 
- Read RC: Evidence-based medicine: empiric antibiotic therapy in community-acquired pneumonia. J Infect 1999 Nov; 39(3): 171-8. 
- Ruiz-Gonzalez A, Falguera M, Vives M: Community-acquired pneumonia: development of a bedside predictive model and scoring system to identify the aetiology. Respir Med 2000 May; 94(5): 505-10. 
- Shorr AF. Preventing pneumonia: the role for pneumococcal and influenza vaccines. Clin Chest Med. 2005 Mar;26(1):123-34.