Colorado Tick Fever Tick Removal
An important part of the prevention of Colorado tick fever is learning how to remove a tick from the skin.
A tick can be removed safely by performing the following:
- Grasp the neck or head of the tick with tweezers. Do not squeeze the body.
- Pull slowly, and straight out. Do not twist the head.
- Remove remaining mouth parts by cleaning with alcohol and scraping with a knife or blade or a sterile needle.
- Clean the wound with soap and water.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment.
- See a doctor within 24 hours if you cannot remove a tick.
Continue to Colorado Tick Fever Outlook
- Bratton RL, Corey R. Tick-borne disease. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jun 15;71(12):2323-30. 
- Klasco R. Colorado tick fever. Med Clin North Am. 2002 Mar;86(2):435-40, ix.