Collapsed Lung Outlook
What to expect with pneumothorax:
- The outcome depends on the underlying cause for pneumothorax.
- Full recovery from a pneumothorax usually takes several days to a week.
- Patients with COPD are at the highest risk for death due to pneumothorax.
- The recurrence rate for pneumothorax is 20 to 50% for the five years following a pneumothorax.
Continue to Collapsed Lung Complications
- Bulajich B, Subotich D, Mandarich D, Kljajich RV, Gajich M. Influence of atmospheric pressure, outdoor temperature, and weather phases on the onset of spontaneous pneumothorax. Ann Epidemiol. 2005 Mar;15(3):185-90. 
- Gilligan P, Hegarty D, Hassan TB. The point of the needle. Occult pneumothorax: a review. Emerg Med J. 2003 May;20(3):293-6. 
- Peikert T, Gillespie DJ, Cassivi SD. Catamenial pneumothorax. Mayo Clin Proc. 2005 May;80(5):677-80. 
- Putukian M. Pneumothorax and pneumomediastinum. Clin Sports Med. 2004 Jul;23(3):443-54, x.