Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor Home Care diarrhea in adults diarrhea in children itching vomiting in adults vomiting in children warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause
Facts about ciguatera:
- Humans are very susceptible to ciguatera toxins.
- Over 50,000 ciguatera poisonings are reported each year.
- Mild cases are not reported.
- People living in tropical regions are exposed to ciguatera toxin the most.
- In the US, fish from the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Mexican waters carry the most risk.
Continue to Ciguatera Symptoms
PubMed Ciguatera References
- Farstad DJ, Chow T. A brief case report and review of ciguatera poisoning. Wilderness Environ Med. 2001 Winter;12(4):263-9. 
- Isbister GK, Kiernan MC. Neurotoxic marine poisoning. Lancet Neurol. 2005 Apr;4(4):219-28. 
- Lewis RJ. The changing face of ciguatera. Toxicon. 2001 Jan;39(1):97-106.