Ciguatera Diarrhea in Adults
Home treatment of diarrhea in someone with ciguatera includes hydration and dietary therapy.
Those who are able to drink liquids can restore lost water and salt with oral rehydration therapy (ORT).
ORT fluids are usually used in children, but are also effective for adults. These include:
- Generic drugstore brands
Additional ORT fluids include:
- Soft drinks without caffeine
- Sports drinks (Gatorade)
ORT is most important if you have vomiting with the diarrhea. Once vomiting and nausea resolves, eat bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Foods that may help diarrhea:
- Mashed potatoes
- Strained carrots
Items that may worsen diarrhea include:
- Concentrated fruit juices
- High-sugar foods (junk food)
- Cow's milk
- Spicy foods
- Sugar substitutes
Continue to Ciguatera Diarrhea in Children
- Farstad DJ, Chow T. A brief case report and review of ciguatera poisoning. Wilderness Environ Med. 2001 Winter;12(4):263-9. 
- Isbister GK, Kiernan MC. Neurotoxic marine poisoning. Lancet Neurol. 2005 Apr;4(4):219-28. 
- Lewis RJ. The changing face of ciguatera. Toxicon. 2001 Jan;39(1):97-106.