Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis Low Cholesterol Diet
It is important to follow a healthy diet if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
A low-fat and minimal saturated fat diet can help keep cholesterol at safe levels.
Strategies for a diet low in cholesterol include:
- Control calories:
- Eat quality fats:
- Use virgin olive oil and other unsaturated, low-cholesterol fats.
- Eat the right amount of fats, carbohydrates and protein:
- Limit your fat intake to 20 or 30 percent, but don't substitute simple carbohydrates for fat.
- Less than 7% of the day's total calories from saturated fat.
- Up to 10% of the day's total calories from polyunsaturated fat.
- Up to 20% of the day's total calories from monounsaturated fat
- Eat omega-3 fatty acids:
- Omega-3's are present in salmon, tuna, and mackerel.
- Walnuts and flax seed are also rich in omega3's.
- If you don't like fish, your local pharmacy has omega-3 supplements in capsule form.
- Avoid fad diets:
- Eat a well-rounded diet instead.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Avoid large and heavy meals.
- Limit cholesterol in diet:
- To less than 200 milligrams a day.
- Limit iron intake:
- Eat enough dietary fiber:
- Whole grains are best.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Reduce salt in your diet
- Optimal: no more than 2 grams per day.
- Check with your doctor about supplementing your diet with vitamins:
Key Dietary Recommendations for Chronic Disease Prevention
|Energy (calories)||to maintain BMI < 25|
|Total fats||< or = to 30% of total daily calories|
|Saturated fats||< 7% of total daily calories|
|Polyunsaturated fats||< 10% of total daily calories|
|Monounsaturated fats||< 13% of total daily calories|
|Cholesterol||< or = to 300 mg per day|
|Dietary fiber||25-30 grams per day|
|Fiber type||3:1 insoluble to soluble fiber|
|Sodium||< or = to 1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 9-24 yrs||1,200-1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 25-50 yrs||1,000 mg per day|
|Calcium 51-65 yrs||1,200 mg per day|
|Calcium >65 yrs||1,500 mg per day|
|Vitamin D 9-50 yrs||200 IU per day|
|Vitamin D 51-70 yrs||400 IU per day|
|Vitamin D >70 yrs||600 IU per day|
|Folic acid||400 micrograms (ug) per day|
|Fruits & vegetables||5-7 servings per day|
|Alcohol (men)||< or = to 2 drinks per day|
|Alcohol (women)||< or = to 1 drink per day|
Continue to Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis Warning Signs
- Kon YC, DeGroot LJ. Painful Hashimoto's thyroiditis as an indication for thyroidectomy: clinical characteristics and outcome in seven patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Jun;88(6):2667-72. 
- Ohye H, Fukata S, Kubota S, Sasaki I, Takamura Y, Matsuzuka F, Amino N, Kuma K, Miyauchi A, Kakudo K. Successful treatment for recurrent painful Hashimoto's thyroiditis by total thyroidectomy. Thyroid. 2005 Apr;15(4):340-5. 
- Vitti P, Rago T, Mazzeo S, Brogioni S, Lampis M, De Liperi A, Bartolozzi C, Pinchera A, Martino E. Thyroid blood flow evaluation by color-flow Doppler sonography distinguishes Graves' disease from Hashimoto's thyroiditis. J Endocrinol Invest. 1995 Dec;18(11):857-61.