What to expect with a chordoma:
- Rarely, chordomas can turn into cancer and metastasize to other areas of the body.
- Most problems result from the tumor pressing on vital parts of the brain, and from the difficulty in removing the tumor itself.
- The outcome also depends on the age and health of the person.
- About 50 percent of people with chordoma survive longer than 5 years.
- About 35 percent of people with chordoma survive longer than 10 years.
Continue to Chordoma Complications
- Fourney DR, Gokaslan ZL. Current management of sacral chordoma. Neurosurg Focus. 2003 Aug 15;15(2):E9. 
- Mendenhall WM, Mendenhall CM, Lewis SB, Villaret DB, Mendenhall NP. Skull base chordoma. Head Neck. 2005 Feb;27(2):159-65. 
- Sundaresan N, Boriani S, Rothman A, Holtzman R. Tumors of the osseous spine. J Neurooncol. 2004 Aug-Sep;69(1-3):273-90.