Chikungunya Disease Treatment
Treatment for Chikungunya disease usually includes rest, fluids, and fever control with acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Some may benefit from treatment with antiviral medications.
Treatment options for Chikungunya disease include:
- Acetaminophen for fever
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Cold medications:
- Medications for nausea and vomiting:
Treatment for severe infections may include:
Chikungunya Disease Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of Chikungunya disease.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Chikungunya Disease Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat Chikungunya disease:
Continue to Chikungunya Disease Home Care
- Kamath S, Das AK, Parikh FS. Chikungunya. J Assoc Physicians India. 2006 Sep;54:725-6. 
- Mackenzie JS, Chua KB, Daniels PW, et al. Emerging viral diseases of Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7(3 Suppl):497-504. 
- Pastorino B, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Bessaud M, Tock F, Tolou H, Durand JP, Peyrefitte CN. Epidemic resurgence of Chikungunya virus in democratic Republic of the Congo: identification of a new central African strain. J Med Virol. 2004 Oct;74(2):277-82.