Chalazion Home Care
Home care for a chalazion includes:
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Avoid using eye makeup.
- Apply warm compresses to swelling:
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 4 hours.
- Clean your eyelashes and eyelids with a warm wet compress 3 times day:
- Use a clean washcloth each time to avoid spreading an infection.
- Gently scrub the eyelid edges with diluted baby shampoo and water.
- Do not squeeze or puncture the lump.
- Do not use nonprescription eye drops.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Chalazion Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a chalazion and any of the following:
Continue to Chalazion Outlook
- Dhaliwal U, Arora VK, Singh N, Bhatia A. Cytopathology of chalazia. Diagn Cytopathol. 2004 Aug;31(2):118-22. 
- Ozdal PC, Codere F, Callejo S, Caissie AL, Burnier MN. Accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of chalazion. Eye. 2004 Feb;18(2):135-8.