Cerebral Contusion Overview
Another name for Cerebral Contusion is Brain Contusion.
What is a brain contusion?
A person with a cerebral contusion has bruising to the brain. A brain contusion causes areas of localized brain swelling and tiny zones of bleeding within the brain tissue. Most with a brain contusion will also have symptoms of a concussion. Not all concussions cause a brain contusion, demonstrable with head CT or MRI scanning of the brain.
What are the symptoms of a brain contusion?
Common symptoms of a brain contusion include headache, loss of consciousness, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, vertigo, and changes in vision. Symptoms of a concussion may also be present.
How does the doctor treat a brain contusion?
In most cases a brain contusion can be treated with close observation general supportive care.
Continue to Cerebral Contusion Symptoms
- Edwards P, Arango M, Balica L, et al. CRASH trial collaborators. Final results of MRC CRASH, a randomised placebo-controlled trial of intravenous corticosteroid in adults with head injury-outcomes at 6 months. Lancet. 2005 Jun 4-10;365(9475):1957-9. 
- Grappling with traumatic brain injury. Lancet. 2007 Dec 8;370(9603):1879. 
- Lee AC, Ou Y, Fong D. Depressed skull fractures: a pattern of abusive head injury in three older children. Child Abuse Negl. 2003 Nov;27(11):1323-9. 
- McKinley J. New challenges in assessing and managing concussion in sports. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Oct 1;76(7):948-9. 
- Ropper AH, Gorson KC. N Engl J Med. 2007 Jan 11;356(2):166-72. Review. No abstract available. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2007 Apr 26;356(17):1794. 
- Smits M, Dippel DW, de Haan GG, Dekker HM, Vos PE, Kool DR, Nederkoorn PJ, Hofman PA, Twijnstra A, Tanghe HL, Hunink MG. External validation of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria for CT scanning in patients with minor head injury. JAMA. 2005 Sep 28;294(12):1519-25. 
- Tender GC, Awasthi D. Risk stratification in mild head injury patients: the head injury predictive index. J La State Med Soc. 2003 Nov-Dec;155(6):338-42.