Cerebral Aneurysm Rupture Surgery
Surgery may be required if the subarachnoid hemorrhage is due to a ruptured aneurysm that can be repaired. An aneurysm is a bulge in the wall of an artery, caused by weakness in the wall. Surgery is used to stop bleeding from a cerebral aneurysm.
Two types of surgery are performed to treat aneurysms:
- An incision is made in the scalp and the skull is opened.
- A tiny clip is placed at the base of the aneurysm.
- Blood continues to flow through the artery, but is unable to flow through the leak in the weakened wall.
- Clipping can prevent rebleeding of an aneurysm.
- A catheter is introduced into the artery.
- A tiny coil is introduced into the artery, through the catheter
- The coil fills the aneurysm.
- The coil causes a clot to form in the aneurysm, sealing the leak.
Continue to Cerebral Aneurysm Rupture Warning Signs
- Ashley WW Jr, Chicoine MR. Subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by posterior inferior cerebellar artery aneurysm with an anomalous course of the atlantoaxial segment of the vertebral artery. Case report and review of literature. J Neurosurg. 2005 Aug;103(2):356-60. 
- Edlow JA. Diagnosis of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2005;2(2):99-109. 
- Rosen DS, Macdonald RL. Subarachnoid hemorrhage grading scales: a systematic review. Neurocrit Care. 2005;2(2):110-8. 
- Salary M, Quigley MR, Wilberger JE Jr. Relation among aneurysm size, amount of subarachnoid blood, and clinical outcome. J Neurosurg. 2007 Jul;107(1):13-7. 
- Stiefel MF, Heuer GG, Abrahams JM, Bloom S, Smith MJ, Maloney-Wilensky E, Grady MS, LeRoux PD. The effect of nimodipine on cerebral oxygenation in patients with poor-grade subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2004 Oct;101(4):594-9. 
- Toussaint LG 3rd, Friedman JA, Wijdicks EF, Piepgras DG, Pichelmann MA, McIver JI, McClelland RL, Nichols DA, Meyer FB, Atkinson JL. Influence of aspirin on outcome following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2004 Dec;101(6):921-5. 
- van Gijn J, Kerr RS, Rinkel GJ. Subarachnoid haemorrhage. Lancet. 2007 Jan 27;369(9558):306-18.