Cecal Volvulus Underlying Cause
The exact cause for volvulus is unknown. However, volvulus is more common in those whose intestine developed abnormally before birth.
There are three main types of volvulus:
- Midgut volvulus:
- Portion of the intestine between the stomach and the colon
- Cecal volvulus:
- Portion of the intestine where the colon and small bowel meet
- Sigmoid volvulus:
- Portion of the intestine between the colon and the rectum
Continue to Cecal Volvulus Anatomy
- Consorti ET, Liu TH. Diagnosis and treatment of caecal volvulus. Postgrad Med J. 2005 Dec;81(962):772-6. 
- Green P, Swischuk LE, Hernandez JA. Delayed presentation of malrotation and midgut volvulus: imaging findings. Emerg Radiol. 2007 Nov;14(6):379-82. Epub 2007 Aug 21. 
- Lal SK, Morgenstern R, Vinjirayer EP, Matin A. Sigmoid volvulus an update. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2006 Jan;16(1):175-87. 
- Takada K, Hamada Y, Sato M, Fujii Y, Teraguchi M, Kaneko K, Kamiyama Y. Cecal volvulus in children with mental disability. Pediatr Surg Int. 2007 Oct;23(10):1011-4.