Cauda Equina Syndrome Treatment
Treatment for cauda equina syndrome depends on the cause. If an injury has caused a structure in the spine to place sudden pressure on the cauda equina, then surgery to repair the damaged structures and relieve pressure on the cauda equina must be performed within 6 hours. In addition, intravenous (IV) corticosteroids must be given promptly, usually within 8 hours of the injury. Emergent surgery is not required in a person who has a chronic condition that has resulted in slowly progressive pressure against the cauda equina.
Treatment options for cauda equina syndrome include:
Cauda Equina Syndrome Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of cauda equina syndrome.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Cauda Equina Syndrome Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat cauda equina syndrome:
Continue to Cauda Equina Syndrome Warning Signs
- Binder DK, Schmidt MH, Weinstein PR. Lumbar spinal stenosis. Semin Neurol. 2002 Jun;22(2):157-66. 
- Hussain SA, Gullan RW, Chitnavis BP. Cauda equina syndrome: outcome and implications for management. Br J Neurosurg. 2003 Apr;17(2):164-7. 
- Jensen RL. Cauda equina syndrome as a postoperative complication of lumbar spine surgery. Neurosurg Focus. 2004 Jun 15;16(6):e7.