Cauda Equina Syndrome Outlook
What to expect with cauda equina syndrome:
- The outcome depends on the severity of the disease and the cause.
- Those who have cauda equina syndrome due to cancer usually maintain their ability to walk with treatment.
- Of those who are unable to walk at the time of surgery, only about 1 out of 10 will regain their ability to walk.
Continue to Cauda Equina Syndrome Underlying Cause
- Binder DK, Schmidt MH, Weinstein PR. Lumbar spinal stenosis. Semin Neurol. 2002 Jun;22(2):157-66. 
- Hussain SA, Gullan RW, Chitnavis BP. Cauda equina syndrome: outcome and implications for management. Br J Neurosurg. 2003 Apr;17(2):164-7. 
- Jensen RL. Cauda equina syndrome as a postoperative complication of lumbar spine surgery. Neurosurg Focus. 2004 Jun 15;16(6):e7.