Cataracts Underlying Cause
Senile cataracts develop slowly after the age of 60. These are the most common type of cataracts. The cause of senile cataracts is unknown.
Congenital cataracts develop in the womb and are present at birth.
Causes of congenital cataracts:
- Genetic disorder
- Infection while in uterus:
- Injury in the womb or during birth
Traumatic cataracts are caused by an injury.
Causes of traumatic cataracts include:
- A blow to the eye
- Electrical injury
Medications that can cause cataracts:
Continue to Cataracts Anatomy
- Asbell PA, Dualan I, Mindel J, Brocks D, Ahmad M, Epstein S. Age-related cataract. Lancet. 2005 Feb 12-18;365(9459):599-609. 
- Kyselova Z, Stefek M, Bauer V. Pharmacological prevention of diabetic cataract. J Diabetes Complications. 2004 Mar-Apr;18(2):129-40. 
- Shichi H. Cataract formation and prevention. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2004 Jun;13(6):691-701. 
- Zetterstrom C, Lundvall A, Kugelberg M. Cataracts in children. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2005 Apr;31(4):824-40.