Cancer Rectum Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of colorectal cancer.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- Will my children have this condition?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Cancer Rectum Specialist
- Andre N, Schmiegel W. Chemoradiotherapy for colorectal cancer. Gut. 2005 Aug;54(8):1194-202. 
- Eisen GM, Weinberg DS. Narrative review: screening for colorectal cancer in patients with a first-degree relative with colonic neoplasia. Ann Intern Med. 2005 Aug 2;143(3):190-8. 
- Hoff PM. New drugs for colorectal cancer. Cancer Chemother Biol Response Modif. 2003;21:817-29. 
- Labianca R, Beretta GD, Mosconi S, Milesi L, Pessi MA. Colorectal cancer: screening. Ann Oncol. 2005;16 Suppl 2:ii127-32. 
- Lacy A. Colon cancer: laparoscopic resection. Ann Oncol. 2005;16 Suppl 2:ii88-92. 
- Lao CD, Brenner DE. Strategies for prevention of colorectal cancer: pharmaceutical and nutritional interventions. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2004 Oct;5(5):417-26. 
- Mendenhall WM, Amos EH, Rout WR, Zlotecki RA, Hochwald SN, Cance WG. Adjuvant postoperative radiotherapy for colon carcinoma. Cancer. 2004 Sep 15;101(6):1338-44. 
- Solum AM, Riffenburgh RH, Johnstone PA. Survival of patients with untreated rectal cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2004 Sep 15;87(4):157-61.