Cancer of the Retina Treatment
- Radiation therapy for retinoblastoma:
- Radioactive isotope plaques
- External beam radiation therapy
- Chemotherapy for retinoblastoma:
- Medications for nausea and vomiting include:
- Aprepitant (Emend)
- Dolasetron (Anzemet)
- Granisetron (Kytril)
- Metoclopramide (Reglan)
- Ondansetron (Zofran)
- Palonosetron (Aloxi)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Surgery for retinoblastoma:
- Used to treat severe cases
Surgical treatment for retinoblastoma may include:
Cancer of the Retina Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of retinoblastoma.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Will I need surgery?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Cancer of the Retina Specialist
Continue to Cancer of the Retina Warning Signs
- Chan HS, Gallie BL, Munier FL, Beck Popovic M. Chemotherapy for retinoblastoma. Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2005 Mar;18(1):55-63, viii. 
- Honavar SG, Singh AD. Management of advanced retinoblastoma. Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2005 Mar;18(1):65-73, viii. 
- Mietz H, Hutton WL, Font RL. Unilateral retinoblastoma in an adult: report of a case and review of the literature. Ophthalmology. 1997 Jan;104(1):43-7.